OpenOil and Cordaid are publishing a series of policy briefs about the oil, gas and mining industries of South Sudan, Colombia, DR Congo, Guatemala and Nigeria. The briefs are written for the people directly involved and aim to improve the quality of the public debate about the industries. The first policy brief is on South more »
Recent blog posts
- Is a 12% interest rate by Glencore to itself in Mauritania “normal”?
- The open data map of oil concessions extends to 18 countries in the Middle East
- Apply now for online training in financial modeling of extractives!
- An Open Data Concession Map of the World – Part I, Sub-Saharan Africa
- What happens when you can search 30 million words of oil contracts?
Eurasianet: In Kazakhstan CNN Blurs Line Between News and Advertising. Turns out I wasn't the only one baffled to come across a Kazakhstan special report by "the most trusted name in news" last week during my barrel-scraping duties. CNN's "Eye On" series shed its spotlight on oil and mineral treasure trove Kazakhstan, yet wraps up its glossy images of the country's new hydrocarbon purification plant, beaming images of state workers and references to 'wise' economic diversification plans with precious little mention of the Zhanaozhen riots which have rocked the industry over the past year and murmurs of growing discontent.